Our skin is a very delicate protection layer of our body and requires a lot of tender loving care to keep it hydrated and happy. In the midst of the excitement of travelling, skincare is one aspect of our lives that we tend to neglect, alongside our health. With the change in climates, being exposed to intense sunlight, and when going on long-haul flights, our skin often suffers from the rapid changes in the surrounding conditions.

The most important tip about skincare is to always stay hydrated. We tend to forget this when we are out exploring new places, but drinking lots of water will keep your skin fresh. This is essential, especially on long-haul flights where our skin is exposed to stale, dry, recirculated air. It is useful to bring an empty bottle to the airport and fill it up once you are through security. Although being on the plane increases your frequency of using the toilet, it is good to drink plenty of water not only to stay hydrated, but to prevent altitude sickness as well.

A great trick to get that extra moisture into our skin is to carry out your regular skincare routine on the plane with the addition of a moisturising mask. It is handy to have face wipes with you to get all that dirt off; a bare face without makeup allows your skin to breathe. Once your skin is free from dirt, pop on a hydrating face mask to replenish all that lost moisture. Follow up with your favourite moisturiser and your skin should feel as smooth and fresh as a baby’s bottom! Of course don’t forget your hands too; apply lotion to hydrate them as well. Do not forget to pack travel-size products (less than 100ml bottle) if you are bringing them on board!

For some of us, we may indulge ourselves in more sugary foods, fried snacks and alcohol than usual, and this tends to be a recipe for disaster for our skin. I am always guilty of this; local cuisine, street food, and sweets always tempt me. This may result in breakouts after a vacation, but this can easily be prevented. Drinking plenty of water will help flush out the toxins in our body.

When at a sunny place, always wear sunscreen. Especially when you are at the beach, apply sunscreen not only on your face but on your entire body as well. The sun’s UV rays are very damaging to our skin and by applying sunscreen we are protecting it. SPF 30 and above is advised if you are spending your entire day out and exploring the area. Don’t forget to reapply every few hours. For you adventurers out there, it is crucial to apply sunscreen when going up the mountains even though it’s cold. Being closer to the sun at higher altitude means that you are more exposed to its rays.

There you have it! All you need is lots of water, your favourite moisturiser and sunscreen as basic hydration and protection methods for your skin. Keep your skincare routine in check when you travel, or maybe go a step further to replenish the moisture, allowing your skin to glow and feel fresh!