The snap general election is many things. It is an example of Theresa May yet again going against her own word, a chance for change, and also a new pain for a vote-wearied Britain. What it is not, however, is the end for the Labour Party.

Yes, it does initially seem likely that after eighth of June the Conservative government will return stronger than ever, with YouGov currently placing the Tories 20 points ahead of Labour. But, with a united left and a little bit of luck, the Tories can be successfully held back.

Already students, young people, workers, remainers, and all those who have been left disempowered by the current government are beginning to unite in their distaste of Conservative rule. All over social media, for example, people are sharing guides on how to tactically vote to block out the Tories both in their area, and nationally.

Clearly, there is already a thriving antipathy towards a Conservative government which will fail to build adequate housing, fail to secure well-paid jobs, and fail to cater for the needs of the majority of the people in this country. The only answer to all of this is for the left to unite behind Jeremy Corbyn who will provide real solutions to these issues.

If you are someone who would ordinarily vote for Labour, but are refusing to this election because you see Corbyn as incompetent, you are only contributing to the existing problems you perceive to exist. The left should instead be putting their trust in Corbyn, who has consistently been on the correct side of history and has released 10 achievable pledges to actually rebuild and transform Britain for the benefit of us all.

Theresa May, by contrast, is untrustworthy and morally bereft. Her policies will serve to make the richest in Britain even richer, and halt the progression of civil rights. Just a quick look at her personal voting history (against gay rights, against the European convention on human rights, against allowing euthanasia) show what kind of Prime Minister she is, and what Britian’s future will be like in her hands.

In fact, May’s refusal to engage in debates with Corbyn and other party leaders exemplifies both her weak nature and fear to be challenged, alongside how out of touch she is with the British public who need to be informed on party policies and what the future Prime Minister is actually like as a person.

I do not for one second believe that Corbyn is perfect, but this election is bigger than any of his flaws. If the left are able to unite, and eligible voters make their way to the polling stations this June, the Tories can be stopped.

So let this election not be about whether you prefer Labour, the Greens, or the Liberal Democrats, or whether you believe that Jeremy Corbyn is failing to effectively lead Labour.

Let it be about blocking a government that is trying to push for a hard Brexit, a privatised NHS, and even less opposition to their self-interested policies. Register to vote, get others to vote, and stop the Tories.