In the era of Facebook and other non-stop technology, many people believe romance is dead.

However, the bigger question is whether our failure to adapt to technology leads to failed relationships and lacklustre moments.

We consume more mass media than ever before and even if you take sappy films with a pinch of salt, you’re still influenced by their message. This increases everyone’s expectations for romantic partners. That’s not all bad; it gives us greater awareness about boundaries and consent, but it’s also made us less tolerant of the minor flaws of others.

In the world of Tinder, what might have been minor quirks are now deal breakers. Why fix your problems when you can upgrade your partner faster than you can your iPhone?

Thing is, the internet gives us too many choices for partners and then we can’t decide who to go for, much like choosing from a wall of toothpaste at Boots: if everyone’s playing hard to get then nobody can get together.

Sadly, it’s not as easy as sharing everything about yourself either. It’s far less scary to share things online than in person, but then you’ll have a hell of a time keeping some mysterious allure or maintaining that idealised image of yourself that we aim for during the early stages of a relationship.

While it can feel like technology has drained the dating landscape of any romance, you can mitigate that by figuring out what you two have in common and spending your time doing that instead of just typing to them from miles away.