The South Asian Decorative Arts and Crafts Collection (SADACC) are to collaborate with UEA in order to increase arts opportunities and educational activities for the community. Philip and Jeanie Millward set up the SADACC trust in 2010, but their collection of over 4000 South Asian items is a result of 30 years of travelling. Due to rapid globalization, South Asia has experienced a decline of much of its traditional crafts.

Founder Mr Millward described how the collaboration with UEA “will make the SADACC collection more available as an educational resource, and hopefully secure a long-term future for the collection and this iconic building, with public access guaranteed”.

“One of the prime objectives is to develop contacts and ties with academic and other institutions in South Asia. This will hopefully create relationships and introductions into an area which is fast becoming an economic giant of the 21st century.”

Professor John Mack, chairman of The Sainsbury Institute for Art, explained that he has enthusiastic about the project: “We are delighted at UEA that such generous local patrons have so willingly encouraged an expansion in the range of activities and educational opportunities in the city and to our students at the university. The work we have been doing together over the past years shows what potential a relationship such as this can realise.”

UEA’s Sainsbury Centre of Visual Arts already has an institute of Japanese art, and the new collaboration with SADACC signals a movement towards a similar South Asian centre at UEA. This is an exciting and unique project for UEA because the collection’s emphasis on furniture and architectural items indigenous to South Asia is unusual in the UK.