With graduation looming, I find myself looking at my room in my student house with dread; I’ve accumulated a lot more possessions – including clothes – over the past three years, and now I’m tasked with trimming that down so it will all fit back in one car at the end of the year.

Cue new Netflix show Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. I’ve seen more jokes about throwing things that don’t ‘spark joy’ out – like your uni reading or your own children – than I’ve seen actual episodes of the show, but beyond the humour, Marie Kondo does actually give good advice. Applying her rule of only keeping things that spark joy to my wardrobe, I managed to get rid of a good chunk of things that I’d only kept ‘just in case’ I might wear them, and things I’d only worn once I felt guilty about them sitting around for so long. A huge part of why we keep pointless things is the sentiment attached to them. By letting that sentiment go, it’s easier to get rid without feeling the guilt afterwards.

If a full-scale Kondo-style revamp of your wardrobe sounds a bit too daunting however, here’s three tips to help with your wardrobe spring clean:

1) Neutral colours – plain t-shirts or long sleeve tops work great on their own or layered with jumpers in colder weather. They can be dressed up or down and are good for work if your job doesn’t have a uniform.

2) Splash on important items – pay good money for one high-quality piece that will last a long time rather than lots of cheaper ones, like shoes, jeans, and a good winter coat.

3) Your style is always changing; if you haven’t worn it in six months, it can probably go. If you haven’t worn it in over a year, it can definitely go.