Manchester four-piece Spring King stopped off in Norwich on their first tour of the new year. These guys are no strangers to the “fine city”, previously selling out Waterfront last year. As doors opened on this cold Tuesday evening, fans started to slowly fill up the venue, in anticipating a night of energetic indie infused goodness.

First to take to the stage were London trio Calva Louise. Combining blissful harmonies and a raw punk edge, I was immediately mesmerised by the infectious energy radiating off the stage. Frontwoman Jess displayed a remarkable vocal range as she took control of the stage and won the crowd over from the get-go. Calva Louise are a band to watch out for in 2018 – their perfect blend of indie punk music and irresistible hooks are refreshing to see from an up and coming UK band.

As the room started to reach capacity, Fizzy Blood were next up. Lead singer, Benji Inkley, implored the crowd to move forward and the band kicked off their set with psychedelic pop banger Summer of Luv. Fizzy Blood’s somewhat intimidating stage presence seemed to supplement their off-kilter fusion of grunge and alternative rock. With snarled faces and thundering riffs, Fizzy Blood have devised a sound which sets them apart from most bands in the contemporary alternative music scene. Benji’s impressive vocals soared above the band’s distortion-ridden arrangements and although Fizzy Blood’s music may not be conventional in structure or sound, the band provided hook after hook which are sure to get stuck in your head.

As the headliners got ready to take the stage, people rushed in from their smoke breaks and anticipation grew. The band emerged from the darkness and a roar of excitement erupted from the crowd. Spring King grasped the audience immediately into the palm of their hand, opening with fan-favourite, Detroit. As the mosh pit rippled in size, pulling people in from all directions, the band soaked all this energy in and jumped around the stage in elation. With new songs sprinkled throughout the set, Spring King’s new material seems to display their classic surf punk charm with added progression in terms of unique song structure.

As Spring King ripped through some of their notable hits such as Mumma, City, and Who Are You, the band’s energy does not dip one bit. Drummer/singer (Tarek Musa) kept the crowd hyped and showed great stamina to churn out fast-paced banger after banger. Spring King’s punchy group vocals and art pop style truly separate them and place them at the top of the scene. If you ever get a chance to see Spring King live, I highly recommend jumping at the opportunity. 2018 could be the year Spring King are propelled to global success.