Do you ever find yourself stuck for signal? Well, you’re not the only one.

Ofcom has reported that many people in the UK are ‘poorly served’ when it comes to connecting to a mobile network. Their study found that whilst 41 percent of premises in rural areas receive data links of 2Mbps or higher, this is near enough doubled in urban locations at 83 percent. Ofcom also said there are some rural areas with ‘no access to either mobile or fixed network connections’.

2Mbps, in context, means you can access internet basics, such as email and online messaging, and perhaps download audio, but videos will take a lot of buffering.

‘Mobile coverage has improved across the UK this year – but too many people and businesses are still struggling for a signal,’ said Philip Marnick, Ofcom’s Spectrum Group Director. ‘We’re planning rules that would extend good mobile coverage to where it’s needed.’

Ofcom’s rules will mean that people in the country will find it easier to get a better signal and data connection.

It was estimated in Ofcom’s recent study that 0.01 percent of all properties receive no good mobile or data service. This might not sound like very many, but it’s around 39,000 properties all over the UK.

Norwich County Council and BT are working to make sure that more people can get connected. According to Better Broadband Norfolk, 92 percent of Norfolk can now access speeds of 24Mbps+. This benefits both homes and businesses, and is an enormous change from the 42 percent who could access these speeds in 2012. Better Broadband Norfolk aims to have 95 percent of the county on these broadband speeds by 2020.

‘Nine out of 10 UK homes and businesses can already get superfast speeds,’ said a statement on the website. ‘We are giving every home and business in the UK the legal right to request fast broadband, helping make sure no communities are left behind.’

However, in Ofcom’s 2018 report, they found that many were still not taking the chance to have ‘superfast’ broadband speeds; around 41 percent of premises were signed up to these broadband providers, despite double that number being able to access speeds of at least 30Mbps. The ‘Boost Your Broadband’ campaign is hoping to educate people and get more to access these faster broadband networks.