With it getting closer and closer to the time we decide who and where we want to live in our second and third years of uni, it’s good to know what we should be considering when it comes to housing decisions beyond halls. From inventories and bills, to guarantors and contents insurance, there is a lot to take on board when it comes to selecting your student digs.
Here are some tips for how to make the right choice for you.

The right people
This may sound obvious, but choosing who to live with is arguably the most crucial detail in the whole selection process. Remember, these are the people you are relying on to pay their share of the bills, not damage the property and who you will be fighting with to get in the bathroom every day. At the end of the day, your decision should be based on who you feel comfortable with and trusting of! Living with people is different from seeing friends casually on campus everyday so you need to share with people that suit your personality. Also, you will be surprised how much money you can save by sharing food bills, utensils and books, so picking the right people can make sense financially too.

Lay of the landlords
The general consensus about landlords is that they are like Marmite; you either love them or hate them. But it’s very likely they see students in much the same way. And students don’t always give off the best impressions. It’s always a really good idea to select a landlord who lives nearby, so that when your tap starts leaking or your boiler breaks, you know you won’t be waiting around. Remember to be nice to them too. Ultimately, it is their home you are residing in and they have the right to ask you to leave. Accidents can happen to anybody, but the more pleasant you are to your landlord, the more lenient and understanding they will be.

Detailed observation
Don’t rush into picking the first house you see. It’s difficult when you see everyone around you getting the best pick of the houses available. But try and view at least three or four different ones so you get a broader scope of the accommodation on the market. It’s never too late, and the university provides students with a list of approved landlords. It’s always worth taking a notepad and a camera (make sure you ask permission before taking pictures) and having a list of questions. After viewing around three houses, you’ll likely get them muddled up so it’s good to make note of the good and bad parts of each one you view so that you have something coherent to look back on!

So with these useful tips, come Christmas time as you begin to puzzle together the issue that is student housing, you’ll hopefully have a few things to think about before you make the decision of who to live with and where to live after halls!