Students are planning a protest outside the talk, which is taking place on May 24 on the subject of “intergenerational justice”.

Willetts has been held responsible for the tripling of student fees and the white paper, which details the government’s plans for the overhaul of the UK higher education system.

A talk given by Willetts at the University of Cambridge earlier this year was abandoned after a group of students staged a protest and sit-in at the event itself. One student was suspended from the university until October 2014 for heckling the minister, as well as reading out a poem entitled “Go Home David”.

The group at UEA are planning a 30 minute organised protest before the talk so that protesters are able to hear what Willetts has to say.

Speaking to Concrete, protest organizer Cal Corkery said “We believe in education as a public good, and that free education is the only way to guarantee society fully reaps the rewards that it can provide.

“This government has made clear, through its attempts to privatise and commodify higher education, that it only values education insofar as the economic benefit it produces.

“David Willetts, in his role as universities minister, has been responsible for the tripling of tuition fees and the introduction of the white paper which represents this government’s plan for higher education.

“The Union of UEA Students and NUS have both passed policy calling for Willetts to resign. We call on all students, academics and concerned citizens to come and join us in protesting against Willetts and the attack on education he represents.”

The protest will begin at 5.30pm outside the main entrance to the