The largest conservation charity in the country, The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, (RSPB) was founded in 1989 and is aimed towards engaging Ecology, Biology and Science students, who are interested in conserving the environment and attending wildlife talks and events.

A local RSPB group in Norwich meets once a month at Hellesdon Community Centre to discuss ways of protecting and conserving wildlife.

Some members are involved in running their own wildlife tour groups and raising awareness for protecting endangered birds.

On October 9th, Chris Knights will be holding a talk about ‘A week in Bulgaria’ that will inform the public of finding wildlife in a remote region.

Christ Knights is an award winning wild life photographer, farmer and conservationist, who has lived in Norfolk all of his life. The talk will take place at Hellesdon Community Centre between 7.30-9.30pm.

RSPB committee member, Sarah Hookway said: “I studied Ecology at UEA and graduated in 2010. I joined the local group a year after, writing a wildlife blog and raising awareness about endangered birds. I am currently a social media committee member, who has belonged to the local group for two years and the RSPB group for six years”.

“We are looking for committee members and students interested in working in conservation.

“There is an opportunity for students to help out at talks, bird sales and attend committee meetings. We meet on the second Monday of each month and it costs £5.50 for a year membership.

After the October talk on ‘A week in Bulgaria’, David Bryant will speak about ‘Birds of the Heath and Yare Valley’ on November 13th.

Mrs Hookway added, “This is the perfect opportunity for students to get involved in RSPB, especially for those who are considering a career in conservation”.

Emily Williamson, née Bateson, co-founded  the RSPB with fellow philanthropist Eliza Phillips in 1891.

By the 20th century, the organisation had 20,000 paying members and was a fierce opponent of the plumage industry, in particular feather imports.

In 1908 the Importation of Plumage (Prohibition) Bill was introduced in the House of Commons. It finally passed as law in 1921,  despite strong opposition and debate in the newspapers.