Results of the students’ union officer elections were announced tonight in Blue Bar. This year’s election had the highest ever number of student voters but was only slightly higher than last year, with 3779 students voting.

Last year 3,669 students voted, with a turnout of 20.4 percent.

The full-time officer positions were won by: Sophie Atherton, Campaigns and Democracy; Jenna Chapman, Activities and Opportunities; Oli Gray, Undergraduate Education; Georgina Burchell, Welfare, Community and Diversity and Martin Marko, Postgraduate Education.

Sophie Atherton, Oli Gray, and Martin Marko were elected in the first stage. Sophie Atherton received 2608 votes; 262 students who voted to re-open nominations (RON). Oli Gray recieved 2064 votes. Martin Marko won 35 votes more than Michael Kyriacou, the other candidate standing.

Georgina Burchell and Jenna Chapman were elected in the third stage. Georgina Burchell won by 185 votes more than Lucy Auger and Jenna Chapman ultimately won by 171 votes more than Finn Northrop.

Sophie Atherton said she was “excited but exhausted”. Her priorities will include looking at the extenuating circumstances process and mental health funding.

Oli Gray said he would push on his manifesto pledges to look at the cost of sport, mental health, and keeping Wednesday afternoons free for sport.

“I’m so excited,” said Georgina Burchell. “It was such a hard week but I’m really glad that I won”.

“I can’t wait to introduce a rate your landlord scheme and really, really fight for mental health.”

SU Returning Officer Michael Wigg said: “At the start of this election we figured that a combo of snow, industrial action and an early Easter might see a low turnout. But I’m thrilled that the SU beat its previous turnout record against the odds, which is testament to the fantastic campaigns run by the candidates. It’s tough putting yourself out there, so I’d like to congratulate all the candidates- winners and losers- on a hard fought and exciting election.

“After Easter there’s a chance for everyone else in the student body to get involved- boards that oversee the shop and the LCR, course reps, paid school and faculty convenors, SU committees and committees of clubs and societies will all be open for election, and I’d encourage everyone returning to UEA next year to keep an eye open and throw their hat in the ring- details will go live on uea.su before Easter”

Elected in Part-Time Officer roles were; Rob Klim, Ethical Issues Officer; Mohaned Alhasan, International Officer; Borja Martin Simon, International Officer (EU Place); Liam Deary, LGBT+ Officer (Open Place); Evie Toseland, LGBT+ Officer (Trans and Non-Binary Place); Diem-Sylvan Von-Pratt, Mature Students Officer; Amy Atkinson, Women’s Officer; and Hannah Murgatroyd, Students with Disabilities Officer.

No candidate stood for Environmental Officer or Ethnic Minorities Officer.

Four Non-Portfolio Officers, another part-time role, were also elected. These roles were won by: Zoe Freeman, Chloe Crowther, Henry Bowen, and Thai Braddick.

The next sabbatical team will take over in July.