The UEA Archery Club brought a solid win at Derby Day this year, with the senior team netting a close win with a total of 2035 to 2001 and the novices a strong lead of 1388 to 1206.

“It was fun and friendly,” said Luka Colaric, one of the highest scoring novices on the day who also managed to break his competition personal best. “But I really enjoyed trashing Essex again.”
One downside was the unfortunate loss of the team mascot, a UEA bunny named Rufus who was stolen by Essex archer Matthew Shepphard. He later explained his actions by saying that if they couldn’t take a Derby Day win back to Essex they could at least take some kind of trophy. Rufus had been with the team to BUCS this year and will be missed.

The Derby Day win adds to what has been a very successful year for UEA’s Archery Club, as several shooters have won medals at a number of competitions this year. Most notable were Alice Hutchins, a first year novice who brought home a bronze at BUCS and a gold at the Hingham Bowmen Portsmouth shoot for female barebow and Klara Krouthén, who got a silver medal at the Hingham Portsmouth for female recurve, was second individually for female recurve at the British University Team Championships hosted by UEA which, and is the number one female recurve in the South East Archery League.