The superhero genre is to continue its success after Avengers Assemble has made its impact, with a reboot of the Spider-Man franchise and the long-awaited conclusion of Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy. The Amazing Spider-Man is a must-see simply because of the chance to find out whether director Marc Webb and leading man Andrew Garfield can live up to the massive success of Sam Raimi’s trilogy. The trailer shows promise, with all of the expected action and humorous lines like “You seriously think I’m a cop in a skin-tight red and blue suit?”, but Tobey Maguire was such an engaging Peter Parker that it may be hard for Garfield to shake him off. Sure to be a massive hit is The Dark Knight Rises. It remains to be seen whether the film can match the dizzying heights ofThe Dark Knight (one of the highest grossing movies of all time) but it will no doubt be a treat, despite fans’ concerns that villain Bane’s voice may be barely audible. In The Dark Knight Rises, Batman will meet his match once more eight years after he battled the Joker and took the rap for the crimes of Two Face. Gary Oldman is back as favourite Jim Gordon and Anne Hathaway has joined the cast as a hotly-anticipated Catwoman.

2012 is not only the year of the superheroes, but also that of Snow White, with the battle between Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman. A number of critics argued that Snow White and the Huntsman would by far be the better film because of its darker tone, but the entertaining Mirror Mirror has made a solid performance at the box office. Some critics have also acceded that it is charming, with its lavish costumes and humorous scenes, including those involving the dwarves and the exchanges between Julia Roberts’ cougar of a queen and Armie Hammer’s dashing prince. Therefore, it will be interesting to see what is made now of The Huntsman. Most likely both films will be enjoyed by viewers for their different styles. The battle scenes in The Huntsman promise to be exhilarating and Chris Hemsworth, so brilliant as Thor, has been cast perfectly as the huntsman. It will be interesting to see how Kristen Stewart fares as Snow White, a character miles away from Bella Swan. One niggle is the fact that Stewart, as attractive as she is, does not quite match up to Charlize Theron (Queen Ravenna). The whole point of Snow White is meant to be that she is the fairest of them all. However, the most important part of the film will clearly be the acting, so the casting director can be forgiven on that point.

With other new releases such as Ridley Scott’s Prometheus, musical Rock of Ages and Jeremy Renner’s starring role in The Bourne Legacy, cinema this summer is going to be quite a ride.