Over the summer, UEA has finished work on new learning and teaching spaces after investing nearly £5 million.

The changes have been made after feedback from students over the past year regarding spaces in the library and other facilities on campus. This feedback established that key concerns from students were more space in the library, more teaching and revision space and improved AV for lectures.

The library now has almost 200 more study spaces, including a refurbishment of Floors 01 and 02, with a heavy emphasis on charging points.

Teaching spaces have also been expanded across campus, with six new teaching rooms in the ZICER building, five new rooms in Earlham Hall, and an additional teaching room created in the Arts building.

Work has also been completed on new-look lecture theatres, with improvements made to address students concerns over wifi, lighting, table space and disabled access. In addition to this there has also been upgrades to the AV systems in 45 teaching spaces, including the Congregation Hall, which has also witnessed a new layout and new seating.

The university will also implement additional study spaces in the summer of 2018 in time for exam season, after frustration was expressed from many students this summer that there wasn’t enough being done to ensure that every student had an adequate place to study on campus.

SU Undergraduate Officer Mary Leishman said of the new spaces: “As UEA expands it’s crucial that its services, spaces and facilities keep pace- so we’re thrilled that the university has worked in partnership with us to listen to students and invest in the new facility.

“However there’s still more to do on social spaces, teaching spaces, accommodation and capacity in services like SSS and the Hubs- which is why we’re calling on university management to work with us on a proper wide ranging expansion plan that puts the student experience, rather than pound signs, front and centre”.