It is that time of the year again where we start to get excited for the new BUCS Season. New season means new team members and most importantly, new goals.

Tennis is a popular sport in the UK and I feel like after the success of Andy Murray, it became more popular. However, if you never had a chance to watch a tennis match before (you have to), you probably heard the names of big players or even tried to catch up with some tennis drama. So in general, I think talking about tennis and the UEA Tennis team could be an interesting subject for our first issue of the year. Therefore, I spoke with the UEA Tennis team and asked them about their goals for the upcoming season, how last year went and more…

One of the first things I asked was, how do they feel about their performance last season? They responded by saying that “last season was our best yet with the 1sts winning the league and getting promoted, and the 2s staying up. Also the girls team finished high too.”

Even though the Men’s Team didn’t performs as they wanted to during Derby Day in Essex, overall the whole UEA Tennis team had a successful season last year, but of course they have higher goals and some newness for the upcoming season. “Following on from the success of last year we’ve added a 3rd Men’s BUCS team for the first time ever. Along with our 3 Sunday local league teams too. We also have brand new teams for recreational players that don’t make BUCS that will compete against other universities on Saturdays as part of the Tennis Foundations Fast4 scheme launched this academic year for university tennis.” So, we have a lot of tennis matches to watch this year and also a lot of people who loves playing tennis will have a chance to compete against other universities in.

In terms of goals for the upcoming season, they are aiming for their 1st teams to “remain and solidify their status as a Midlands 2 team.” Also, they are hoping to have more members this year. Last year they had 102, but this year they believe this number could go higher.

If you want to get involved with UEA Tennis and meet the committee and other members, attending to the first social of the year could be a good option as they told me that last year, everyone connected really quickly and had a great time. It was “one of the best” socials of the year.

Last year, the tennis team had a record number of players on tour with almost 30 people. This year, they are wishing to expand this number and also plan to have more members. The competition is hard, but UEA Tennis is ready. Tennis fans, don’t forget to support them this season and we can’t wait for the new season to start.