The rise of cheap, readily available flights has in the past made the ‘staycation’ appear to be a much less popular travel option and looked down on as being not a ‘proper holiday’. Travelling in your own country, however, can be just as enjoyable. After all, there are loads of wonderful places to uncover on your own doorstep which you might not have considered before.

For such a small country, the UK has a lot to offer. From the rugged coastline of Scotland, the views from the high peaks of the Lake District, and everywhere in between, sometimes we forget we live in one of the world’s most visited destinations; tourists actively seek out the experiences the United Kingdom has to offer, why shouldn’t we do the same? Even if the weather can be changeable, there are beautiful national parks, perfect for long walks, away from the bustle of city life. Or wonderful cities which have invested much into their rich cultural heritage. The UK is also home to some stunning beaches, which can easily rival those abroad.

Indeed, a ‘staycation’ can become a ‘transformative’ experience; a chance to be reintroduced to your country as a new and exciting place. Staycations can offer experiences comparable with travelling abroad, but with much more ease and convenience, such as paying with the same currency, especially given the fluctuating exchange rates.

Yet this does not necessarily mean travelling around your home country limits cultural experience and usefully a ‘staycation’ can be done on a whim, in the ‘low season’ when tourist numbers aren’t so high. Indeed, long weekends can provide time for a break, which would not necessarily warrant investing in overseas travel. In any case, although travelling abroad is fun and exciting, this doesn’t mean a trip around your own country can’t be equally appealing.