We’ve all wondered while boarding a plane where the best place is to sit. Whether it’s to get a view from the window seat, be first to get served dinner or to have the shortest journey to the loo, we all have our favourites.

But viewers of Channel 4’s The Plane Crash might now have different priorities thanks to an unprecedented experiment led by an international group of scientists. This show documents the deliberate crashing of a Boeing 727 so that crash investigators, scientists and airlines can learn more about what happens to both the plane and the passengers.

I was a little wary of watching this, because I like holidays and don’t want to be a nervous wreck for the whole journey, but it certainly made for fascinating viewing.

The set up, involving turning the 727 into the biggest remote controlled plane in the world, was interesting, but honestly we were all waiting for the main show: when pilots deliberately crash landed the plane into the Mexican desert.

Now, we have all seen crash footage on the news or on YouTube, but they’re very rarely anything more than a few minutes of shaky filming from someone’s iPhone. But with dozens of high-resolution cameras fixed inside the cabin, this show offers a unique perspective of what might happen if the worst comes to the worst. As well as these, crash dummies reveal our fate depending on whether we brace, wear a seatbelt or even where on the plane we’re sitting.

Some viewers might think that this whole scheme is just scare mongering, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s one of the most informant pieces of television in recent times, and by drawing in viewers with a real plane crash, it makes them more likely to remember the important bits, of which there were many.

Although no two plane crashes are ever the same, this show recreated the most common, and highlights the main things you should remember next time you’re jetting off on holiday.

Listen to the safety briefing, sit within five rows of an exit and towards the back of the plane, always wear your seat belt and in the event of a crash get out as fast as you can. While the chance of being in such an accident is less than one in a million, it’s best to be prepared.