The Voice has been riddled with problems since it started, and the BBC’s attempt at talent spotting seemed to have fallen flat when it was surpassed by Countryfile in viewer ratings.

Although raking in more than 11m viewers in its early days, the show has been dropping numbers throughout the series, steadily losing out to ITV rival Britain’s Got Talent.

X Factor judge Louis Walsh recently slammed The Voice. He said: “The best thing was the revolving chairs, and once you’ve seen that, the novelty wears off.”

The irate Irishman also suggested that the judging panel wasn’t of sufficient quality, claiming that the lack of Simon Cowell was at the heart of its problems: “Simon Cowell is the king of TV, and if he’s not involved then it’s not good.”

Walsh’s words may have struck a chord with viewers, with many complaints being heard about will.i.am’s constant tweeting during the live shows and Jessie J’s insincere comments. The judging panel is hardly the charismatic group Cowell always seems to deliver.

As for Cowell being the “king of television”, Walsh may have a point. Hated as he may be by some, he does successfully provide entertainment. The BBC’s previous foray into the talent show genre, Fame Academy, ran for two series. X Factor is currently filming its ninth and has delivered countless top 10 hits over the past eight years. As for Cowell himself, viewing figures for American Idol halved after he left: it appears as though, love him or hate him, we can’t stop watching.