These winter months provide one of the biggest dilemmas for a student renting a home – do you relinquish your hard-earned pennies and turn on the central heating, or do you bunker down in all your clothing under a blanket of money? In truth, neither! As a fan of technology, you don’t need silly things like boilers and radiators, you’ve got gadgets! Goodbye central heating, hello Samsung Galaxy! From least effective, to most effective, here are the five best methods of heating your home.

5. Television
If you’ve ever hugged your TV (although I don’t know why you would have done) you’ll have noticed that it actually gets quite warm during your four-hour Pointless marathon. While most TVs have good ventilation since the manufacturers know you’ll be spending all your time using it, older TVs really tend to warm up over a long period of time. Sadly it doesn’t warm up much else, making it the lowest on the list.

4. Laptop and Charger
Kittens love them and so should you. Laptop fans are very precious things when it’s cold. They’re usually on the left-hand side, blowing out a gentle gust of warm air as you work. If you’ve ever had hands too cold to type, you’ll know how great it is to rest your hand in the stream a second. The same goes for chargers – if you’re using your laptop plugged in, the transformers tend to get nice and toasty. They’d be great for warming your home if your kitten didn’t hog all the warmth.

3. Phone
Probably the number one cause of warmth in beds, extended use of phones can turn them into little portable stoves. This does mean you have to be using it pretty constantly for a long time, but anyone that’s used QuizUp or Angry Birds won’t have this problem. However it does lead to increased drain of battery, and if you don’t get annoyed at the short battery life of your phone you probably have a Nokia Brick. Also, by definition if your phone is hot enough that it’s overheating, this usually leads to slowed functions and apps crashing. Regardless, I prefer snuggling up to my phone than a hot water bottle, it’s that hot.

[su_spoiler title=”Fun fact!” style=”simple” icon=”chevron-circle” anchor=”End”]Computers in general can reach temperatures of up to 80 degrees Celsius without taking damage.[/su_spoiler]

2. Older Games Console
One problem with the newer console generation is that their superior fans keep the console cool. Whilst this doesn’t sound like a problem, leading to efficient functionality and reduced hardware damage, it’s cold. The winter months get me missing my PS3 a bit – with it, even a short time playing games turns your room into a sauna. A stereotype of gamers is they sweat a lot, and this is true because we’re just so warm from our lovely toasty consoles.

1. Desktops
While all of these devices can get quite warm, none of them can get quite as blisteringly hot as a badly ventilated desktop, particularly a home-made one. They cause games to crash and essays to disappear into oblivion on a regular basis, all due to the fact they get too hot. This makes them perfect for heating an otherwise chilly location, and it’s why the library is always oddly warm. That’s why we give desktop computers the accolade of being too damn hot.