The University of East Anglia has ranked highly in an array of subject areas by Times Higher Education’s (THE) annual global subject rankings.

For law, the university has been positioned 55th out of 187 worldwide with Polly Morgan, Deputy Head of UEA’s Law School, expressing that she is ‘delighted’ with the result.

She continued, ‘It reflects our status as a TEF gold university that also undertakes world-leading research, as well as my colleagues’ hard work in helping our students to make a positive contribution to society, whether that is in the UK or in the many countries from which our students join us’.

UEA, along with 86 other universities, was added to this year’s law ranking following adjustments to eligibility criteria for academic staff.

Compared to last year, the university also rose to between 101st and 125th place for social sciences and between 201st and 250th in the arts and humanities grouping. But while UEA held its physical sciences spot at between 101st and 125th, for life sciences, the university slipped nine positions to 98th.

Professor Tamas Dalmay, Head of Biological Sciences at UEA, whose school sits in the life sciences category, said ‘Obviously, you want to be the first on any ranked list but being 98th in the world is quite good, so I’m reasonably happy. Looking at the list, we are the 10th English university on the list, ahead of 15 Russell group universities (out of the 24), which is very satisfying’.

THE uses 13 performance indicators across teaching, research, international outlook and industry income to form its rankings, readjusting the methodology to suit each field.

In September, UEA was placed joint 190th overall in the publications world rankings out of more than 1,250 universities.