Now that the famous Cola Cola Christmas advert is back on our screens, we can safely say that the holidays are coming. For many, snuggling up on the sofa with your family to watch the Christmas TV specials is an exciting and relaxing tradition, just like over-doing it on mince pies and chocolate selection boxes. Some scrooges say that Christmas TV has become too predictable, but our cosy, festive evenings just wouldn’t be the same without all our favourite shows. However, there are also many new shows on this festive season, all of which look to be an exciting and brilliant addition to our screens. Here is some of the best Christmas specials we can look forward to this year:

Text Santa, December 18th, ITV
ITV kicks off the Christmas spirit with its fifth instalment of Text Santa, a fun- packed charity appeal show, with the likes of celebrity stars such as Philip Schofield, Holly Willoughby, Olly Murs, Caroline Flack, Paddy McGuiness, Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden. The show reminds us that Christmas is all about giving and the celebrities make fools of themselves in order to raise money for charities, such as MacMillan Cancer Support, Make-a-Wish and Save the Children.

Doctor Who, Christmas Day, BBC One

Full of thrills and rib-tickling moments, this year’s Doctor Who Christmas special follows the Doctor on a fast-paced, super- villain chase in an anti-Christmas universe. Romance could be also in the air, with the return of the Doctor’s enigmatic and feisty wife, River Song, played by Alex Kingston. Their relationship has always been complicated, but this latest meeting promises to be particularly moving. Join the Doctor and his snow-covered Tardis on Christmas Day for his latest adventure in time and space.

Downton Abbey, Christmas Day, ITV
For Downton Abbey fans the biggest gift this year will be the final ever episode of ITV’s beloved period drama. The episode that aired earlier this month did not disappoint, with heated arguments, confessions, and a wedding, and Julian Fellowes’ promises that the Christmas special will also be filled with ‘love, loss, happiness and heartbreak’. With so many loose ends and so little time, we hope Lady Edith finally gets the happy ending she has been waiting for, that Mr and Mrs Bates’ pregnancy goes smoothly, and that poor Mr Barrow finds peace with himself.

Dickensian, BBC One (Date TBA)

Dickensian is a new 20-part series which will intertwine some of Charles Dickens’ most famous characters, all living next door to one another on one cobbled street in Victorian London. From the likes of Scrooge, Fagin, Miss Havisham, Bleak House’s Inspector Bucket, and even Oliver Twist’s Mrs Bumble, this series is ambitious to say the least. Fast-paced and full of surprising twists and described as ‘a beginners guide to Charles Dickens’, this could be set out to be a new TV favourite.

And Then There Were None, BBC One (Date TBA)
Based on Agatha Christie’s best-selling crime novel of the same name, an all-starcast including Poldark’s Aidan Turner bring the story to life in a new TV series. Set in 1939, on the brink of war, ten strangers are invited to a mysterious island, cut off from the mainland. However when they get there their hosts seem to have disappeared. Each guest seems to be hiding something and are accused of crimes, but when one of them is killed, they realise one of their fellow guests might be a murderer. In usual Christie style, the story is full of tension, drama and mystery.

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride, New Year’s Day, BBC One
On New Year’s Day, everyone’s favourite detective pairing will finally be back on our screens in the long awaited one-off special. Set in the story’s original setting of Victorian London in 1895, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman reunite to face a new case. The episode will closely follow the plot of the book, and looks set to be an intriguing mystery. Although Moriarty seems to be missing from the trailer, this special looks set to be a particularly exciting part of the Christmas line-up.