Do you want to escape the stressful world of deadlines, money problems, and the constant fear of failing? If so, then I have the perfect solution for you in the form of the new Netflix sitcom Fuller House.-tdh Escape the real world and delve into the American dream full of cheesy catchphrases and unrealistically perfect lives, with a happy ending in every episode.

To truly appreciate this latest Netflix addition, you first need to hear about the show’s history. Fuller House is not a standalone sitcom, but a revival of the much loved 80s sitcom Full House, which saw recently widowed Danny Tanner (Bob Saget) raising his three daughters DJ (Candace Cameron), Stephanie (Jodie Sweetin), and Michelle (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen) with the help of his brother-in-law and Elvis fanatic Jesse Katsopolis (John Stamos), and his best friend, more or less successful comedian Joey Gladstone (Dave Coulier).

Running from 1987 – 1995, the audience grew up with the three Tanner daughters, from Michelle’s first word to DJ’s first love. This show was something for the whole family, and over the years it became a world success. It comes as no surprise, then, that a revival of the show was something much talked about during the last ten years.

Even after the last episode aired in 1995, Full House never really left; countless reruns could be seen on TVs all over the world, attracting a whole new generation of fans. Moreover, the cast, much like their fans, couldn’t seem to let go of the show, having annual reunions and reclaiming their roles in guest performances on The Jimmy Kimmel Show more than once. Eventually this undying love for the show led to the much anticipated revival when Netflix decided to take on Fuller House.

Before anyone complains about the rather unimaginative title – I should add that’s the point. It’s not trying to be something new, it’s a homage to the original. Fuller House is going back to the classic sitcom format of catchphrases, light hearted stories, and an over-enthusiastic live audience. It’s all about nostalgia. The plot pretty much follows that of the original with a slightly more feminist twist: we see oldest Tanner daughter DJ and her three sons move back into her childhood home after her husband’s death, with her sister Stephanie and best friend Kimmy (Andrea Barber) to help raise the children. The fact that it is three women living together, needing no man to lead a successful life, gives way to new plots and twists that are more current today than might have been the case in the late 80s.

As lovely as it is to see the original cast reunite and reprise their roles, there are cutbacks, as probably the most famous cast member, the Olsen Twins, who, let’s be honest, have Full House to thank for their career, refused to join Fuller House. The show does not try to hide the fact that one important family member is missing, and it is explained that ‘Michelle’ c1§7an’t be there for the family reunion because she is too busy running her fashion empire in New York, followed by a pointed look straight into the camera by all of the cast.

Breaking the fourth wall and making references to the actors’ real lives, or snarky remarks about sitcoms and revivals, plays another big part in making Fuller House a good show. It knows what it is and doesn’t pretend to be anything else. For everyone involved, the show is a fun project that gives them the opportunity to once again work together; having fun and not taking it too seriously is the whole point, and embracing its cheesiness and predictability is key to enjoying it.

This show is something everyone can enjoy, be they diehard fans or newcomers, as long as your expectations aren’t set too high and you accept the fact that this is a bit of fun. It’s a show that doesn’t require much thinking, and leads you into a world of unrealistically perfect lives with spontaneous dancing, breaking out in song, and of course, catchphrases – perfect if you want to escape the excessive amount of stress us students have to face.

To sum it up: this show is so bad it’s good. So much so that it has already been renewed for a second season! Now, whether it deserves one or not, I’ll leave that up to you to judge.