UEA alumnus, Kazuo Ishiguro OBE, has been further recognised for his services to Literature this year in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List, after receiving the Nobel Prize for literature last year and previously being bestowed with an OBE in 1995 This latest accolade pays testament to this incredible authors’ achievements.

concrete-online.co.uk/graduate-given-pen-irish-literature-award

Originally graduating from the University of Kent in 1978 with a bachelor’s degree in English and Philosophy before attending UEA, Ishiguro achieved an MA in Creative Writing in 1980. Ishiguro’s long list of accolades emulate the high standard of his work, most recently he has also been awarded the 2nd Class, Gold and Silver Star within the Order of the Rising Star, one of Japan’s highest accolades.

In a statement released on the GOV.UK website citing the most notable awards, Ishiguro, has been dubbed as “one of the most celebrated contemporary fiction authors in the English speaking world.” Adding: “He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2017, receiving praise from the Swedish academy for his novels of ‘great emotional force’. His work has been marked by significant critical acclaim, receiving four Man Booker Prize nominations, and winning the 1989 award for his novel The Remains of the Day.”

Other notable local accolades include an OBE for Professor Richard John Last, VC at NUA, for services to Higher Education. An MBE for Mrs Hilary Cox of Cromer, for services to local government and the community in Norfolk as a previous Norfolk County Councillor. A BEM for Herbet William Micheal Slaughter for services to the Royal Artierly Association and wider community in Norwich.

Follow Concrete on Facebook to stay up to date