Professor Mark Searcey, current Chair of Medicinal Chemistry and Head of the Schools of Pharmacy and Chemistry at UEA, is taking up a new position on the Executive Committee at UEA. He will replace the current Pro-Vice Chancellor for Science, Phil Gilmartin, from 1 April 2019.

The Vice-Chancellor Professor David Richardson said: ‘This is an important appointment for UEA. I’m absolutely delighted that Mark has accepted the role and that he will be joining the executive team at such an exciting time and help the University to fulfil its vision’.  

Prof Searcey’s research deals with therapeutic targets, with a focus on DNA and protein-protein interactions. The group is currently focused on targets involved in cancer and inflammation. His research is highly collaborative within departments here at UEA and with institutions across the world. From his research, he has authored approximately 80 papers and six patents.  

His previous positions were as a Reader and then Director of Research in Pharmacy at UEA. He also was a Senior Lecturer at the School of Pharmacy at University of London from 2000-2006. From 1997-1999, he worked as an Assistant Professor and Research Associate at the Scripps Research Institute, California. From 1991-1996, he was a Research Scientist with the St Luke’s Institute of Cancer Research at University College Dublin following his post-doctoral research with Gerry Gallacher and Keith Brocklehurst at Queen Mary College, University of London.

Here he focused on polyclonal catalytic antibodies. In 1985, he obtained a BSc(Hons) in Chemistry from Loughborough University and he obtained his PhD with Barry Lee at the Hatfield Polytechnic in 1989.