The 27th and 28th May saw the return of UEA in the City; a public event based at The Forum, Norwich, in which lecturers, staff and societies took to the heart of the city to promote the work that goes on at UEA on a day-to-day basis.

Unfortunately, this year, the event was hampered by bad weather, with heavy rain falling during most of the first day of events meaning that many sporting and outdoor presentations due to take place had to be cancelled. As another result of the weather, visitor numbers were down on last years’ event, which saw the University take over The Forum for five days.

Despite these factors, the event carried on successfully, with students and staff interacting with the people of Norwich, spreading the word about the research and work carried out on campus.

Lectures over the two days covered topics such as the First World War, fuel cells & bacteria, sports stars & media coverage, and protest songs. Located in The Forum’s Curve lecture theatre, the range of talks took place aimed at a range of ages from a breadth of UEA schools.

The Union’s ENTS Department exhibited 50 years of LCR merchandise, along with snippets of information on a visual timeline of the venue’s past, including a reference to its real name of the Large Common Room. Other bodies at the event included UEA Outreach with Student Ambassadors present, and the Sainsbury Centre for the Visual Arts with a display of ancient art for the public to engage with.

Societies manned stalls within The Forum to promote the work they do and to show the variety of student interest at the university. Ranging from Norwich Nightline to UEA:TV, the public were able to interact with members about their groups and try their hand at activities through the event. Live Music Society provided outdoor entertainment, while indoors on the 27th, KTroo and Arm Wrestling Society offered popular interactive sessions.

Although the weather did its best to ruin the event , UEA in the City once again proved a success, providing a platform for the university to showcase to the public exactly what the institution has to offer.