UEA representatives visited Buckingham Palace last week on 22 February to receive the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education. The prize was awarded by Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla.

The School of Environmental Sciences received the award last year in November in its 50th anniversary year. The School has become one of the largest and most fully-developed institutions of its kind in Europe since its foundation.

Its research and teaching addresses climate, ocean, and atmospheric interactions, as well as the governance of resources and sustainability. It also looks at the geosciences, and natural hazards like tornadoes, landslides, and volcanic eruptions.

Head of School, Professor Kevin Hiscock, said: “The presentation was followed by a reception in the Picture Gallery, where postgraduate students from the School were able to speak to His Royal Highness, informing him of their research into ozone formation at the ground surface, jelly fish population dynamics, and riparian zone aquatic ecology.” Attending with Prof Hiscock were postgraduate students, the Chancellor, Karen Jones, the ViceChancellor, Prof David Richardson, Director of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, Prof Corinne Le Quéré, and Chair of Council, Joe Greenwell.

“It was a very memorable occasion for us all and a fitting tribute to the achievements of the School in the 50 years of its teaching and research,” Prof Hiscock said.