UEA’s teams experienced a mixed day in Nottingham last Wednesday at their BUCS Conference Cup finals.

Before the Conference Cup action got underway, UEA men’s Rugby third team went down 12-7 to Lincoln’s first team in their Midlands Conference Plate final, but were pleased with their runner-up spot.

UEA Fencing’s ladies performed well against Nottingham Trent but ultimately lost 108-118. The club has enjoyed other BUCS success this year, with Tin Chen taking home a bronze medal in the men’s sabre at BUCS Nationals last month.

Despite taking the lead inside the first ten minutes through Ben George, UEA men’s Football were beaten 2-1 by Leicester’s first team in their Conference Cup final, conceding twice in the last ten minutes after having midfielder Tomasz Siemienczuk sent off. UEA FC are still fighting on a number of fronts in local football and can be pleased with Conference Cup silver after edging out Warwick 1-0 in the semi-final at Colney Lane and winning the BUCS Midlands 2A league unbeaten.

UEA men’s Hockey team agonisingly lost their Conference Cup final against higher-ranked Oxford 2s. After going 1-0 down, UEA equalised shortly after half-time through Arthur Graham, leaving the teams tied 1-1 at full time. However, UEA lost out 5-3 on penalty flicks against the unbeaten champions of Midlands 2A, the tier above UEA.

There was better luck for the women (pictured), who won their final 3-2 against Nottingham 4s thanks to goals from captain Áine Gransden, Bente Eggink and Peace Umelo. All the scoring took place in a frantic first-half, with UEA holding on to bring home the gold medals. UEA’s women are no strangers to an exciting cup game, having won their semi-final 5-4 against Oxford Brookes 3s at the Sportspark the previous week.

UEA’s Table Tennis team also came home from Nottingham victorious, beating Warwick firsts 8-9. UEA’s team of Gaurav Aravind, Zachary Martillo, Nathan Downes and Leo Lam won the Conference Cup to cap an unbeaten league season which has seen them top Midlands 2B.

In other BUCS cup news, a 3-0 win away to City University, London saw UEA’s all-conquering women’s Volleyball team reach the final of their BUCS national Trophy, where they will face Glasgow. Volleyball remains UEA’s second highest-scoring team in terms of BUCS points behind Futsal.

Fifteen members of UEA Snow travelled to Milton Keynes’ Snozone to compete in the BUCS indoor dome series regional qualifiers at the end of February. Several qualified for the national finals in Leeds later in the month including the Ski Race Duals team for the first time ever, Charlie Howe in the men’s Ski Race, John Corcoran in the men’s Snowboard Freestyle and the club’s Ski captain Fintan Corcoran in the men’s Ski Freestyle.

UEA’s Gymnastics team brought home several medals from the Nottingham Open last week. In intermediate men’s Conor Heneghan won gold medals on the floor, vault and overall, Harry Sandford took silver on the floor and overall, while in the advanced women’s category Lizzie Payne won silver on the floor.

Several UEA sportsmen have recently been selected to represent regional England sides. After a successful initial trial, Footballers Ben George and Richard Black travelled to Sandbach United FC near Stoke and played 45 minutes each for the South of England against the North in a trial game for the full English Universities side.

They are waiting to hear whether they have been selected for the team to play an upcoming series of home internationals.

UEA captain George reflected: ‘We both thought we played well. The standard was really good, we’ve just got to wait and see now. We think we’ve got a good chance.’

‘Either way, it’s good experience for us,’ added Black.

After a successful trial in Hertfordshire, men’s Lacrosse captain Travis Payne has been called up for the South-East England universities team, who will face the other regions in an upcoming tournament.