UEA has dropped six places in The Guardian University League table, and is now joint sixth for student satisfaction, according to a survey by The Times. This is an abrupt change for a university that was given a 100 per cent satisfaction rating in 2013 by its students.

The Guardian looks at several categories including: satisfaction with course, career after six months, student to staff ratio and spend per student, among others. This year, UEA fell behind fellow 1994 Group universities, Sussex (19th) and Lancaster (10th).

Simon Dunford, Assistant Head of Communications at UEA, said: “UEA ranks among the highest-performing universities, featuring in the top 20 of every major UK league table and in the world top one per cent – thanks to the hard work and dedication of its staff and students.

“This year’s slightly lower ranking in the Guardian University Guide 2016 is the result of a combination of factors, including a minor reduction in entry tariff and a change in the way bursaries and scholarships are recorded which has affected our ‘expenditure per student’ score.

“As competition in Higher Education intensifies, UEA is proud to remain among the most successful and well-respected institutions in the country. We have climbed the league tables considerably over the past 10 years and will continue to strive to do so.”

Yet, it is not all bad news as American Studies at UEA was ranked best in the country for a second year running.

Vice-Chancellor of the UEA professor David Richardson said: “The continued success in American Studies and a strong showing from a host of other disciplines across the University has cemented our place in the top 20 – amongst the leading universities in our country.

“Once again, I am extremely proud of all UEA colleagues, students and the students’ union for all they do to make UEA the success it is.”

In addition, Sports Science rose from 4th to 3rd place, History of Art is now up two places and ranks 4th and Law is now 8th in the country. Other courses in the top 20 were Economics, English and Creative Writing, Health Professions, History, Nursing and Midwifery, Philosophy, Psychology and Social Work.

Despite this years drop, UEA remains ranked in the top one per cent of Higher Education institutions in the world, and continues to be a leading member of the Norwich Research Park – one of Europe’s biggest concentrations of researchers in the fields of environment, health and plant science.

The full results of the league table can be viewed here.