However, despite the overall fall, six subjects remained in the top 10 in individual subject tables. These were nursing and pharmacy, both ranked 1st in the country, American studies (2), environmental sciences (3), drama (4) and social work (9).

Having been in the top 20 of the rankings table for the past two years, UEA’s latest ranking of 24th comes in the year that student fees will rise to £9,000 per year and student satisfaction ratings will take on ever-increasing importance in Higher Education.

Always a strong performer in student satisfaction surveys, the University achieved a rating of 89% in the National Student Survey (NSS), an annual survey of final year students which produces an overall “satisfaction rating” based on several criteria.

This percentage rating places UEA 7th overall in the NSS table.

A motion was presented earlier this year in Union Council to boycott the NSS, but at the meeting on 2 February, quorum wasn’t achieved so a vote on this decision could not take place.

In response to the figures, the University released the following statement:

The University of East Anglia is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide and has featured in the Top 10 for student satisfaction every year since the National Student Survey began.

While it is disappointing to have slipped a little in this particular league table, prospective students can be confident that if they come to UEA they will enjoy superb facilities, unrivalled social activities and world quality teaching.

We are not complacent and will look to areas where we might improve. However we remain confident that UEA is still one of the best places to study in the country.

Union of UEA Students’ academic officer Meg Evans said:

It’s obviously disappointing that the University has dropped six places in the Guardian league table. Despite this setback, we are confident that the University is working hard to improve the student experience at UEA.

There are obvious areas for improvement and the Union will be working together with the institution over the next year to ensure that these improvements are made for all students.