A student from the University of East Anglia recently won a competition at the UK Trade & Investment’s (UKTI) Entrepreneurs’ Festival in Manchester.

Oladapo Musa Giwa, a third year Law student, won the Dragon’s Den-style competition with the Brobotics Team, made up of participants from five continents and seven countries.

The competition was to mark the launch of The Sirius Programme, a pioneering scheme looking to bring the UK the world’s best entrepreneurial talent, and help young people expand their business ideas.

Students and graduates who apply to the Sirius Programme receive investment, mentoring and support with one of the world’s best accelerator programmes.

enterprise

The Brobotics Team’s concept hopes to develop a pipe inspection and leakage detection system which is cheaper and more efficient. The team won $7500 Amazon web credits and a working space at Level39 to aid them in building their own concepts.

Along with Oladapo, the Brobotics Team also included Ali Khalid Alyami from Saudi Arabia, Thomas Akwesi Nketia from Ghana, Ashutosh Pathak from India, Francisco Gallardo Lopez from Spain, Lorne Grant from Canada and Carlos Meza from Mexico.

Oladapo said after receiving the prize: “Winning this award has given us all great confidence in our entrepreneurial ability. Not only was this competition a great opportunity to work as a team with people from all over the world, it allowed us to each develop our business acumen too. We can’t wait to apply for the Sirius Programme with the hope of being one step closer to transforming our business ideas into a reality within the UK.”

Nick Baird, chief executive of UKTI said: “I congratulate Oladapo on winning this award. The calibre of all the entrants from the Festival was superb, but Oladapo and his team had the edge across the board. It is great to hear that they will be applying for the Sirius Programme as this is one of the most comprehensive start-up support packages offered globally, and the best in Europe.”

“The quality of the participants at the Festival highlighted the potential and enthusiasm of these young entrepreneurs and we look forward to supporting entrepreneurs like them as they establish their business ventures in the UK.”