Following on from the league-winning success of the UEA Futsal first team in 2013-14 and subsequent promotion to the Premier Midlands Division, the club has added continental success to its roster in the Eurofives Autumn Cup in Amsterdam.
The well-esteemed tournament, now in its 11th year of competition, was also contested by RBS London, Apollo, Simple Seven, and OMS.
After a 21-hour coach journey to reach Amsterdam and an inspirational team talk from captain Chris Swann, UEA kicked off the tournament against Simple Seven, a team with some excellent technical players, but no match for the solid shape and fast pace of the UEA team who came away 4-0 winners. This was swiftly followed by a close game against Apollo, whose Essex roots made them a natural rival for UEA. After a slow start, the match remained goalless until five minutes from the end, but UEA made their class tell and took a 3-0 victory. A further 3-0 win against tournament veterans RBS London guaranteed a spot in the final, but there remained one group match to play against OMS, who would be UEA’s opponents in the final.
Another 3-0 win to maintain UEA’s unbeaten record in the group stage saw the yellows head into the final full of confidence. Despite conceding their first goal of the tournament, UEA saved their best performance until last and comfortably saw off OMS 5-1, to bring the Eurofives Autumn Cup back to East Anglia. With two goals in the final to bring his tally for the tournament to eight, UEA’s Joel Potter was also voted the player of the tournament, an accolade he and the UEA Futsal team plan to defend next season. Roll on 2015!