Last weekend UEA played host to the Korfball BUCS National Championships in the Sportspark. Our first team had worked hard earlier this year through preliminaries and regionals, securing one of the four regional top seeds going in to the weekend.

There was a lot of pressure on the team following back-to-back national titles the previous two years and an unbeaten run qualifying for the tournament.

The group stages on Saturday started off with a win against Southampton, who we had faced the previous year in the finals. Birmingham beat us in the second game of the day. It was a tough loss but the team came into the final group stage game against Strathclyde fighting hard, taking the win and placing top of our group. Saturday finished with a quarter-final victory against Bedford, seeing us through to the semi-finals the next day.

Sunday began with a semi-final matchup against Nottingham, a strong team we had faced in each qualifying tournament leading up to nationals. I think everyone was feeling the pressure with two other regional top seeds struggling the previous day. The team battled hard and dug deep to take the win against Nottingham, seeing us through to our third back-to-back national finals appearance.

The team looked good starting off against Sheffield, unfortunately the shots just weren’t falling in our favour and the long shots from Sheffield kept hitting their mark. Sheffield ultimately took the victory, but the team fought hard until the end and still managed to take home the silver medal.

Whilst it may not have been the gold the team were hoping for, 2nd place in the UK is still an incredible achievement and this has marked the club’s 7th top 3 finish in a row!

The club couldn’t be more proud of our team and loved every minute of watching them play over the weekend.

We’d love to thank all the supporters who came out to cheer us on, as well as all of the incredible volunteers from both UEA and the other local clubs. You provided a great atmosphere and helped the weekend run smoothly.

The club have one last BUCS tournament this season, with both the 2s and 3s teams heading to Leeds at the end of March to compete in National Plate. Both teams will be hard at work over the next few weeks to try and follow on from the first team’s medal winning success.

We’re a club open to all abilities, so whether this has inspired you to compete for a BUCS medal or you just want a casual weekly session to try something new everyone is welcome to come and give it a go, on Wednesdays at 5-7pm!

UEA Results:
v Southampton (9-8) W
v Birmingham (10-15) L
v Strathclyde (15-11) W

v Bedford (11-7) W

v Nottingham (12-7) W

v Sheffield (15-12) L