UEA Korfball club are currently preparing to host the biggest event in the Korfball calendar. On the 8th and 9th of March 2014 The National Championships return to the Sportspark where UEA will fight to defend their title from last year.

korfballuea

This year there will be 16 University teams coming to Norwich compete. Teams firstly have to compete or a place at either Northerns or Southerns and the top 4 from each are seeded. Those that fail to qualify will go on to play in Club Championships which are being hosted on the 15th of March in Cardiff.

Teams to watch this year are Birmingham, who finished first in Southerns and UEA, who topped Northerns. Both sides will be heading to the competition knowing they were the best in their region. The exit of a number of senior international players means this year’s competiton will be a much more balanced affair, there are no outright favourites. This being said, individual players to watch are Alex Bell for Southampton, brother Ollie Bell for Cambridge, and Lizzie McCloud of Nottingham, who have all played for the England Squad at some point.

UEA are looking in good shape to protect their title, currently being top of Division 1 in the Norfolk Korfball League. The absence of 5 of the 6 boys, in particular England player Charlie Vogwill, who were in the winning squad last year originally meant a restructure for the team but this in no means set has them back.Last year’s final was a tantalising spectacle, finishing 12-9 to UEA against Nottingham.

The tournament was credited for being highly organised with superb facilities and one of the best finals in student korfball. The games are free to watch and will offer a great insight to the sport and showcase the best student korfball teams in the country. So if you’re not doing anything on the Saturday the 8th and Sunday the 9th of March come along to the Sportspark and watch some Korfball. Games will start from 9.30 a.m and finish around 5 p.m each day.