The university has announced it will launch a Master’s Degree in Gender Studies this year. The course will focus on many disciplines of humanities including history, literature and philosophy and will include modules such as “Critically Queer: Sex, Gender and Sexuality” and “Gender and Power.”

Other universities already offering similar postgraduate courses include SOAS, Sussex and UCL. UEA currently already offers several modules relating to gender in undergraduate courses, but this is the first time an entire MA dedicated to the study of gender will be offered by the university.

The MA will take the form of a one-year course, but can also be taken part-time, and assessment will be entirely coursework based. The course will be offered to prospective students who have achieved a 2:1 or better  in any arts or humanities degree discipline. As with all postgraduate courses, UEA offers a 10 percent fee reduction for alumni, as well as a 50 per cent reduction for students who received a first class degree from UEA.

To mark the launch of the new course, the university is hosting a series of lectures covering gender and social issues. These events are being sponsored by the Interdisciplinary Institute for the Humanities.

The lecture series will begin with a talk by Professor Diane Negra from University College Dublin, titled “Cuteness, Non-Threatening Femininity and the Meg Ryan Romance” on February 2nd.  There will also be a Dragon Hall Debates  panel discussion on the question “How far to go to gender equality?” in March.

The course outline states that the course will attempt to foster “an in depth and focussed understanding of the gendered aspects of society and culture, particularly in relation to other inequalities and social divisions.”

Dr Helen Warner said, gender “shapes the architecture of buildings, our understanding of bodies, and virtually all aspects of our social, political and economic lives.

“Critically analysing the ways in which gender operates is crucial for anyone seeking to address social inequalities and affect change.”