A senior lecturer from UEA’s Norwich Medical School has been given a 16-month suspended jail sentence from Norwich Crown Court, as well as being placed on the sex offenders register, for sexually assault a 19-year-old woman. Gabriel Muntugi, who has been lecturing at UEA in Physiology, School of Medicine, Health and Policy Practice since 2004 admitted sexually assaulting the woman when they were alone watching a film. The woman is not thought to be connected with his work at the university. Muntugi’s staff profile page on the UEA website says that his role was to “teach physiology to all undergraduate students enrolled in the MBBS degree programme”.

Michael Clare, representing Mutungi, said that he regretted his actions and that by pleading guilty he had spared the victim the ordeal of coming to court. He went on to say that it would be a disaster for UEA, for his wife, family and students if he went straight into custody. However, UEA has made clear that Muntugi is no longer on campus. A university spokesperson said: “The university can confirm that Gabriel Mutungi is not at work while UEA investigates matters in light of the recent court case.

“We take the duty of care to our students extremely seriously and alternative teaching arrangements have been made for any students whose studies are affected. Any students who have any concerns relating to this matter can contact Margaret Bunting in Norwich Medical School (m.bunting1@uea.ac.uk) or should seek confidential advice and support from the Dean of Students’ Office”.