UEA’s Oxfam society will be hosting an event to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the charity and its work. On Wednesday 29th November, in association with the Oxfam store on Magdalen Street, the society will showcase a variety of entertainment, including musical performers from the university choir, local bands, singers, and songwriters.

Oxfam is an international confederation of charitable organizations focused on the alleviation of global poverty.

In 2016 Oxfam helped more than 22 million people worldwide, providing emergency aid in humanitarian crises and running long-term development projects to help poor communities improve their lives. The charity is also known to campaign for action in tackling poverty’s root causes including climate change, inequality, and discrimination against women.

Mark Goldring, Chief Executive of Oxfam said: “Our work providing life-saving aid and standing up for the rights of the world’s poorest people would simply not be possible without the compassion and support of the British public.

“We want to thank everyone who has so generously given their time and money over the decades to help Oxfam – from donating to appeals and signing petitions to volunteering in shops.”

Speaking to Concrete, the society said the sheer size of their upcoming event “is unprecedented on campus for our society.”

They added: “Celebrating Oxfam’s achievements is why we are excited, because it inspires new generations to fundraise, and 75 years is such a long time to be around for.

“We encourage anyone to come along, whether or not they have volunteered before.”

The celebration will be held at the Julian Study Centre (Room 3.02) and starts at 6:00pm on Wednesday 29th November.