UEA has pledged to pay the EU settlement fees of any EU citizens and non-EU family members wishing to continue their employment at the university beyond Brexit.

The university have enlisted the law firm Mills and Reeves to construct an FAQ in order to answer any questions those applying may have in regard to the pilot scheme for this process.

The scheme will allow those who work for UEA and their family members to be eligible for public services, have public funds and pensions and also be a British citizen if the correct requirements are met.

This will apply to those who are a European Union Citizen living in the UK and want to remain living and working here after December 2020. Those with the right of residency here until the end of 2020 will have until 2021 to apply as their rights remain unchanged.

However, if you are a resident in the UK up until 31 December 2020, then you have until 30 June 2021 to apply as your rights will remain unchanged up until then.

Earlier this month, the University and College Union called on all employers to cover the cost, stating that institutions should cover to fee to ‘show support’, with failure to do so sending a ‘negative message to staff at what is a hugely worrying time for EU nationals and their families’.

Other universities have since followed suit, with Oxford and Nottingham expressing similar plans to participate in the pilot scheme. In addition to this, the Scottish government have pledged to cover fees for all public service workers, which will include staff across all Scottish universities.