A research team from UEA have created real-time image-enhancement technology without the need for extra special features or apps. The technology is designed to be implanted in mass market devices so it could one day be in your smartphone. The technology enables computers, TVs, and other devices with screens to have HD image quality without the need of editing. The company is called Spectral Edge, its CEO is Rhodri Thomas, and Professor Graham Finlayson of UEA is the Chief Science Officer. Dr Alex Hayes and Dr Roberto Montanga, also part of Spectral Edge, completed their PhDs at UEA. Not only does Spectral Edge envision their technology in future smartphones, but their image fusion technology already appears in cameras, regular DSLRs, sure, but also CCTV, dashcams, drones, and webcams. For example, whilst most CCTV is black-and-white with sometimes difficult-to-see imagery, with Spectral Edge’s RGB-IR technology, the images can be clear in colour. Not only can this technology help people with colour normal vision, but the company originally launched with technology called Eyeteq – imaging software that can subtly modify colours onscreens to help people with colour blindness to distinguish between colours. These changes don’t affect people with colour normal vision, but it means that people with colour blindness can have far better experiences watching videos and looking at images. In April, Spectral Edge secured $5.3 million in further funding from companies Parkwalk Advisors and IQ Capital, both existing investors. The funding will mean that the R&D (research & design) team can expand to 12, and can specialise into niche areas such as machine learning and embedded software development. Spectral Edge still works closely with UEA, and the company was recently a finalist in the BT Sports Innovation Awards for helping people with colour blindness watch sport with greater ease.