Results of the 2015 National Student Survey (NSS), released in August, revealed that despite poor performance for coursework return times, the university placed second for overall student satisfaction amongst mainstream universities. UEA achieved an overall total satisfaction score of 92%, rising one place above its third place ranking in 2014.

Professor David Richardson, the UEA vice chancellor, has expressed his pleasure at the
university’s success, explaining that such a high score was due to the hard work of everyone at the institution.

He stated that: “scoring so highly is a testament to the efforts of academic and support staff as well as the Student Union and, of course, the students themselves in making the University of East Anglia a top-class place to live and study”.

He added that this result comes “just a few months after UEA was ranked Top 10 in the UK for research outputs in the National Research Excellence Framework”,  claiming that this demonstrates that “we can deliver excellence in both teaching and research that together underpin our position in the Top 1% of universities in the world”.

This title is shared with Winchester and Surrey Universities, as well as Derby Day rival Essex. Keele University was rated as this year’s best mainstream university for student satisfaction for the second year running. They scored a total of 95% student satisfaction, beating UEA by just 3%.

The NSS surveys nearly half a million final year undergraduates about their experiences and thoughts, both positive and negative, about their higher education institutions. The feedback is then made available to prospective students in order to gain an accurate picture of it is like to live and study at universities around the country.

UEA is the only mainstream university in England to have appeared in the top five for student satisfaction consecutively since the survey began in 2005.

The survey was particularly good news for the Law, French and Philosophy schools who all scored top for student satisfaction in their field. Computer Science saw a massive improvement in their score, rising from 22nd place to 2nd.