The Educational Counsel of the Turkish Embassy has opened a new office in central London, attended by the embassy’s Higher Education and Learning Abroad Chief, Bulent Ciftci, and the Turkish Education Ministry’s director for EU and foreign relations, starting business by signing a deal with UEA.

A UEA spokesperson called the agreement a “renewal” of a decade-long partnership with the country, aiming to “attract high achieving students from Turkey to choose UEA for their postgraduate studies.” They added that the university’s scholarship programme wishes to “attract the brightest and best from across the world to study here.”

The deal, signed by Craig Smitherman and Basma Hakim of UEA, means that Turkish students who have been offered a scholarship by Turkey’s Education Ministry can have access to reduced tuition fees at UEA.

The agreement will mean that successful candidates will receive £3,000 scholarships, in the form of a reduced tuition fee.

Smitherman praised the Counsel for their plans to invest in higher education, and commented that “We think that by hosting them in our universities, we can mutually help each other with research and further develop our higher education systems.”

Speaking on behalf of the university, a spokesperson said “The Turkish Ministry of National Education currently sponsors 1000 students in the UK and seeks to upskill and develop the human capital of Turkish universities by sending higher education staff overseas for masters and PhD studies.”

They added, “We offer many scholarships through either national government scholarship bodies, charitable or non-governmental organisations and to individuals themselves in order to allow as diverse a group of students as possible to undertake their studies here at UEA.”