My name is Heather, and I’m a Psychology undergrad here at UEA. In April, I will be doing a parachute jump with my sister Elizabeth to raise money for CLIC Sargent (Registered charity in England & Wales, 1107328, and Scotland, SC039857). CLIC (Cancer and Leukaemia In Childhood) Sargent is a charity providing support to children with cancer and their families. This includes buying Homes From Homes, houses near hospitals, where parents can stay near their children for free. It also provides story books to children, to help them understand what is happening, and funds social workers who help the family. CLIC Sargent nurses make the children as comfortable as possible and maximise the time they can spend at home with their families.

Military parachute jump celebration

According to Cancer Research UK, around one third of people will experience cancer at some time in their lives, either directly or indirectly, and this is a frightening statistic. Unfortunately, Elizabeth and I are within that third. Our uncle had cancer several years ago, but is thankfully in remission now. However, not all stories have a happy ending. Our grandmother was diagnosed with terminal cancer this February, and so we are doing this jump for her. Children are the most important thing to her, as she has been a childminder all her life, and she’d do anything to see them happy. As difficult as her illness is for her, and for us all, to bear, we think that it must be even harder on children and their families. Our wish is to raise as much money as we can, to help people handle and get through childhood cancer.
CLIC Sargent states that every day, 10 children and young people find out that they have cancer. This is a terrifying time for those children and their families, and so the support provided by CLIC Sargent is essential.

Our target is £400, so I would like to ask you all to help if you can. Every penny will get us that much closer to our target, and will help fund support for families of children with cancer.
Please contact me if you want to sponsor us, either at heather.baker@uea.ac.uk, or on 07449157307.
Please give if you can. CLIC Sargent does such a wonderful job, and it is only thanks to donations by kind people that it is able to keep its work going. Thank you.