A series of political events aimed at making politics accessible and interesting for students are set to take place on campus throughout the remainder of the semester.

Reclaiming Our Future, organised by Katie Hicks, a second year History student, will feature a variety of activities, ranging from political panels to activism workshops, aimed at inspiring and encouraging students to get involved in grassroots politics.

The first event is due to take place on Saturday 9 March in Arts 2.38 and will be a political Q&A panel featuring voices from prominent left wing figures – including Norwich South MP Clive Lewis, Aaron Bastani, the founder of the media organisation ‘Novara Media’, and Jess Barnard, a local County Councillor in Norwich.

Reclaiming Our Future hope to build on the success of this first panel by following it up with a Political Education Conference, which will cover four topics: the Economy, the NHS/Mental Health, the Environment, and Education. This panel will help achieve the campaign’s first aim: to engage and inform students, which will be followed by empowering and facilitating activism.

Special care has been taken to make sure the events are accessible to everyone, including choosing a room which enables discussion, with questions to be asked by proxy and disability access.

Speaking to Concrete, Katie Hicks told us more about the events, telling us how they’re ‘intended to set out an optimistic vision of politics which we can seek to collectively contribute to so that everyone feels like they can get involved… One of the major things that people feel is a barrier to politics is that they don’t feel like they have the right to have an opinion.

‘Here [at UEA] you have so many people, in such a small space with common interests- it’s the perfect setting for solidarity. We have an abundance of people from all backgrounds and they just need a way in.’