Leading Norfolk Cancer Charity Big C has organised a ‘Santa Jump’, taking place on 9 December, over Beccles Airfield. Participants of the event will be jumping at an incredible 14,000ft, with UEA Learning Disability Nursing student Becky Herdman set to partake.

Becky has previously been involved in numerous fundraising efforts for the charity, including UEA’s Pimp My Barrow event, bake sales, and a bungee jump in which she raised £230, more than double her original goal. She is also the founder of UEA’s Big C Society.

Prior to her studies she worked as a Health Care Assistant at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital’s Oncology Ward, which she describes enables her to have “developed a real love of cancer care and supporting patients and their families with cancer.”

Speaking on the participating in the Santa Jump despite a fear of heights, she said: “Cancer patients have to face things that scare them every day so this is just my way of acknowledging that.

“I wanted to do the same, to show solidarity and my support but also to raise some more much-needed funds for the charity. I can’t think of a better way to send off the year!”

Clive Evans, Director of Communications and Income Generation at Big C said: “Every penny raised will go directly to help Big C fund our four local support and information centres, ground- breaking research at Norwich Research Park and state of the art medical equipment.

“Friends and family are welcome to come along and watch the skydive.

“We can’t promise reindeer, but a big red suit is compulsory for everyone taking part!”

Becky is hoping to raise £300, and at the time of writing she has raised £130 of her goal.

For more information about how you can assist Becky in reaching her fundraising goal can be found at: https://www.justgiving.com/ fundraising/rebecca-herdman1