UEA student, Rebecca McManus, to ‘live on’ through poetry anthology

0

UEA student Rebecca McManus was just weeks away from graduation when she was hit by a speeding driver and killed, whilst standing at a bus stop in 2014.

Rebecca, who was studying English Literature and Creative Writing, was an aspiring poet who dreamed of having a volume of her work published. Three years later her mother, Cathy McManus, is finally realising that dream for her.

Cathy said, “Rebecca was well known round campus for her quirky dress sense and trademark beret. She was bright, funny, kind hearted and passionate about literature, writing and music. She was a great academic and had the potential to develop and become a great poet.”

“She had had several poems published and it was one of her dreams to have a volume (or more) of her poetry published. As she had written so many poems it seemed a shame not to share them so I decided to have a book of her poetry published – with the help of Unthank Books [where Rebecca was interning at the time of her death] I have been able to realise her dream.”

The book, ‘A Book of Fragments and Dreams’ will be launched on the Thursday 23rd March at a special UEA Live event in conjunction with the Writers Centre Norwich who will celebrate her life and work. There will be readings by Rebecca’s friends, tutors and current UEA students

Her mother added, “I want her voice to live on so this will be her legacy.  I hope that many people will enjoy her work and that it will inspire other young poets – I want her to be remembered for her wonderful words.”