UEA Swimming club once again proved why they are a forced to be reckoned with at the 2016 Bucs Nationals.

Friday started off with the Men’s and Women’s Freestyle relay. George Evans, Ewan Laing, Tom Arckle and Liam Doonan all gave solid performances. As did the women, who swam so well that they made it to the B final, pushing them to compete again the following day against some of the top teams.

UEA was also lucky enough to have a guest swimmer with tehm that weekend -S14 class paralympian Jesssica-Jane Applegate from City of Norwich Swim Club who broke a world record in the Women’s 800m.

Saturday brought home some fantastic swims in the 200m freestyle, 50m backstroke, 50m breaststroke, 100m Butterfly, 50m Freestyle and 200m breaststroke. The weekend was also a success for swimmers’ personal best swim times as Naomie Ayrton improved her 200m Freestyle time, Tom Arckle improved his 50m breastroke and Rikke Nagell-Kleven did the same in the 100m Butterfly. Saturday ended with an amazing swim from the girls in the Medley Relay – Alison Binns, Sarah O’Brien, Rikke Nagell-Kleven and Esme Bathe.

The women performed excellently, making the A Final for the Medley relay -pushing them up to compete on the Sunday against the likes of Loughborough, Bath and other top universities. The men once again swam well too, making the B final in their medley relay.

Sunday garnered even more success for UEA -Rikke Nagell-Kleven making a final in her 50m Fly after some fantastic swims from her this weekend. George Evans, Ewan Laign and especially Rhian Mather deserve exceptional credit for their performance and swims on Sunday.

This year has been tough on UEA swimming -the coach resigned in November and have only just managed to appoint someone new, so these successes and amazing swims are all down to the swimmers and the dedication and hard work they have put in despite the lack of a coach.