Before Derby Day, a trampoline was just something my Dad wouldn’t let me have. I envied the kids who could bounce in their back garden whilst I had to dig up my mother’s weeds.

Last Wednesday, however, I watched the Derby match between UEA and Essex where UEA won 31.6 to 25.56. The 14 girls were flying through the air, performing flips, kicks and spins with brilliant execution, fully deserving their win.

For those of you, like me, who have no clue on the scoring of trampolining, I spoke to Secretary of UEA Trampolining, Jen Cripps who enlightened me. From her I learnt that scoring is on neatness, travel on the bed and finishing the routine as some competitors had “crashed out” (falling over, hitting the edges of the trampoline).

For example, if you crash out after your third move of the routine, you are only scored on the previous two. Only one UEA competitor unluckily crashed out but only on her last move, allowing her an amazing score for the previous nine moves to help UEA grab the win.

Each participant performed two routines which were averaged out for one score per competitor. These scores were then used to average each university’s total to work out the final score. Sportsmanship was greatly evident in the sports hall with members of Essex and UEA spotting each other at the corners of the trampoline. There were cheers all round for each member and it was a thoroughly enjoyable watch.