This autumn will bring the return of the Arthur Miller Institute Literary Festival which celebrates literature, media and culture, with special attendances from esteemed playwrights, novelists and biographers.

This year there will be features biographer and memoirist Claire Tomalin, novelist Jonathan Coe – who has written several novels that have been adapted for film – and television playwright and esteemed novelist, Dame Margaret Drabble. In addition to this, UEA will be welcoming back former Chancellor, novelist, and memoirist, Rose Tremain.

The festival will run from 3 October to 21 November, with guest speakers every Wednesday evening at 7pm in Lecture Theatre 1.  Festival Director, Professor Chris Bigsby, will be hosting the guest sessions and discussing their work, writing and memoirs. Each appearance will be followed by a book signing at the Waterstones on campus.

Professor Bigsby told Concrete that the festival “has previously featured nine Nobel Prize winners, two of them ex-UEA, drawing on writers of all kinds from a range of countries. Where once we would concentrate on novelists, playwrights and poets, now we feature writing of all kinds.”

This diversity is evident with guest speakers such as MI5’s official historian and KGB historian, Christopher Andrews, whose writing of Soviet Russia is particularly interesting in light of the recent events in Salisbury. Andrews will be opening the festival on 3 October. Also joining the festival is the BBC’s former Foreign Correspondent, Sir Max Hastings, who will be discussing his study of the Vietnam War; and Henry Marsh, a leading brain surgeon who made neurosurgical advancements in Ukraine and has sold millions of books depicting his memoirs.

The festival has attracted 6,000 people each year over the last 25 years, and the range of fascinating writers attending the festival is likely to have a wide appeal with “something for everyone”, ensuring that this year will also be a resounding success.

Tickets for the festival can be purchased at: https://www.uea.ac.uk/litfest/home