According to a recent QS league table which ranked universities by subject, UK institutions came top in Maths, English and six other subjects. QS World University Rankings are published each year by Quacquarelli Symonds, a UK based researcher into higher education and study abroad.

The most recent results, made available on Tuesday 22nd March, showed Oxford and Cambridge first and second respectively for English literature and language. Making up the top five were Harvard, Yale, and the University of California, Berkeley. Other UK institutions in the top 20 included Edinburgh and UCL. In total 13 made it into the top 50.

In mathematics, the top five included Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, Stanford and Oxford, with Imperial College London also making the top 20. Others in the top 50 included Warwick and Edinburgh. Oxford and Cambridge topped four and three tables respectively, with both tying for first place in History.

The QS survey ranks universities worldwide in 42 different subjects, based on academic reputation, employer reputation (employers are asked to identify which universities they commend), research citations per paper and where universities place on the H-index, which measures “the productivity and impact of a scientist or scholar”.

The results are a triumph for the top universities in the UK, with Oxbridge topping both tables, but it is clear that the country is still competing with more dominant world-famous US institutions to make our way into the top 20.

UK universities feature in the top 10 in 41 of the 42 subjects surveyed. UEA did not make the list for either English or Maths, however, the institution did come 12th in Development Studies and 239th overall in a list of 800 top higher education institutes.