One of the things UEA prides itself upon is its huge number of societies offering something for everyone, whether that is continuing a longstanding passion with new people or trying a new hobby. Here are some of Concrete’s favourite underdogs…

Spoken Word 

Ever wondered how to make the leap from page to stage? This society looks at the use of poetry in performance: slams, open mic nights, rap battles, guest poetry evenings, poetry in theatre and much more. They run fortnightly poetry and performance workshops. Their aim is to grow the spoken word scene within both UEA and Norwich by helping artists collaborate and inspire each other.

Egg Box

Egg Box is UEA’s student-run publishing society. They are interested in working with anyone on any aspect of self-publishing, whether that’s making zines, pamphlets or brochures about your favourite subject. As a society they create regular collaborative zines based around a theme for which they welcome submissions of anything that fits on an A5 page! They also publish the annual undergraduate creative writing anthology where you can gain experience of every aspect of the publishing industry, from designing and editing to promotion and advertising.

Horror Film

What’s your favourite scary movie? Horror Film is a weekly run society screening all types of movies in the horror genre, voted by members in a themed poll at the beginning of each week. Their range of films within the genre is diverse; from sceening classic zombie flicks one week, to found-footage B-movies the next. Expect spooky socials around the medieval city of Norwich, collaborations with other film societies (in the past they have shared screenings with Cinema Society and Bad Film Society) and activities involving doughnuts on string, and many rolls of toilet paper.

Skateboarding

Skateboarding Society is for anyone and everyone interested in riding boards. Primarily their members ride skateboards, but they are open to longboarders and people with cruisers too. Last year they went skateboarding at Eaton park once a week (weather permitting!) and they hope to do that more often this year. If you don’t own any boards or safety equipment, don’t worry, they have plenty you’re able to borrow. So no matter your skill level, you can have fun getting involved.

British Sign Language

The British Sign Language society at UEA is taught by three qualified, enthusiastic signers and offers the chance to learn basic and intermediate British Sign Language. Find out how to gain a qualification in BSL or come along to their ‘free sign’ sessions where you are able to sign, meet new people, and have conversations with your voice off. They offer a beginners class for returning students or anyone with previous experience of BSL. Take the chance to participate with charity work, meet new people, develop a skill or build on any existing knowledge of Sign.

Green Growers

The Green Growers Society offers the opportunity to grow your own fresh produce on UEA’s very own allotment. It provides a space for those interested in gardening to come together, learn new skills and share existing knowledge. You’ll be outside in a beautiful garden, with friends, growing fresh food! What more could you want?

Baking and Cooking

Every other Thursday evening they meet to eat cake, share recipes, learn new skills, and chat about Bake Off! They also run themed socials such as cake crawls around Norwich. Whether you’re a total beginner or consider yourself to be a bit of a Star Baker, they’d love to see you at one of their events!

You can talk to committee members of these societies and more (including Concrete!) at the Societies Fair, from 12:00-18:00 on Tuesday 26th September in the Sportspark.