A new Ethnic Minorities officer and four NUS delegates have been elected in the Union of UEA Students by-elections.

Four candidates stood in the by-election for the position of Ethnic Minorities officer, which had a turnout of 163. Hussam Hussein was victorious with 95 first preference votes, equating to a 58% majority. The Ethnic Minorities officer represents students who self-identify as belonging to an ethnic minority.

Meanwhile seven candidates stood for the four NUS delegate positions. The NUS delegates represent UUEAS at the National Union of Students National Conference, where they debate and vote on NUS policy. Additionally, NUS delegates elect the National Exectutive Committee.

The successful candidates are Richard Laverick, Sam Clark, Valerie Colette Larson and Emily-Claire Tucker.

Speaking to Concrete, Richard Laverick, who is also LGBT+ officer, said: “I was extremely pleased to be elected as one of the Union’s delegate to the NUS Conference in April.

“I am keen to listen to student’s views, especially on national issues which I can raise at the Conference. As delegates we have to vote following our Unions principles and policies, which for me are the basic principles of ethics, equality and fairness.

“Any student can email me before the conference with any issues they’d like to raise at union.lgbt@uea.ac.uk.”

Ethnic minorities officer
Elected: Hussam Hussein
First preference votes: 95

Turnout: 163

NUS delegates
Elected: Richard Laverick
First preference votes: 49

Elected: Sam Clark
First preference votes: 45

Elected: Valerie Colette Larson
First preference votes: 38

Elected: Emily-Claire Tucker
First preference votes: 35

Turnout: 254